:::: MENU ::::

My first week in AZ.

Well I’ve completed my first week in Arizona and it’s been interesting.  I first got out here on Friday the 18th of September and spent the weekend visiting with Dan and his family.  I’ve known Dan ever since 1997 when we both served upon the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3) in the IT department.  I wasn’t called that at the time, it was called ADP or Automated Data Processing.  But that’s another story.  I also met up with Marc on Saturday (19th) and we proceeded to the building that I would be working in to check out my area where I’d be working.  Marc is another buddy I too worked with on the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3). I am now working in a cube-farm and Marc is my team lead but that’s about all I can say about that.


Monday rolled around and I will admit I was a little intimidated working for the military again.  However, this time I’m a civilian.  I started at my company’s main office in town, off base and went through orientation by myself and the HR personnel.  Essentially I just went through and rehashed what I already went through the morning before, which was my presentation slides.  After I finished at HR I then proceeded to head toward base and I had to stop at the office near the main gate so I could get a temporary pass to get on base.  I needed my proof of registration and insurance.  So I went through my records for my minivan only to find out that my proof of registration was no where to be found.  I still went into the office to see what, if anything, they would have to say only to be told that I will need my registration.  So I called my wife and she and I worked out getting a copy of the registration sent to me.  She told me she would stop by the DMV to get a copy the next day.  Well I was informed by Kathy that her mother went to the DVM and got the registration copy, thankfully, and that they sent a copy of it via email to both Kathy and I.  I checked my email while at work and didn’t notice it initially.  I then went home and checked it again and low-and-behold there it was.  So I worked on getting my printer setup on the new wireless router I went out and purchased and I had a heck of a time initially because I forgot I had setup the security on the router a specific way and my printer wasn’t allowed on the wireless network until I fixed that problem.  Once that was fixed I then printed the copy of the registration so that I could bring it with me my next work day. Wednesday came and I took the day off along with Marc and Dan as our mutual friend from the Navy, Eric, came in to visit with the three of us.  We had a nice day out by a lake about 45 minutes away from where I was staying, with Dan.  So Thursday rolls around and I go into the office next to the main gate and have no trouble getting a temp pass for my vehicle.  Later that day I was able to get my ID I needed to get on base with little to no problems.

Up to this point all I’ve been doing at work is studying for my Security+ certification and sitting in on conversations going between my team leader and peers and other personnel at the office.  I was hoping that I would be able to get in to my cubicle and have my computer ready for me to use, however there’s another gentleman that was still occupying it so I have to wait until next week sometime.  I picked up an MP3 player Thursday night so that I had something to listen to while in on Friday.  It was a god send as I would have been bored out of my head today without it.  I was able to load a couple albums and a podcast the night before so I had something to listen to while either studying, or when I took my breaks.


My initial thought with this job is that it’s very intimidating as there are a lot of things I have to learn to get up to snuff with what’s going on.  However I have a feeling it wont take me long to pick up some of things I’m seeing and then again it may take me a fair amount of time to pick up the other things.  Nonetheless I feel I have made the right decision taking this job as it’s a great career opportunity.

As far as moving to the west side of the country, and into the desert, that’s going to take a little (and I mean just a little) getting used to.  The mountainous area surrounding the base is very nice.  Every day I’ve been here so far has been crystal clear or slightly cloudy.  You can see for miles on the highway going into and coming out of Sierra Vista.
Being so close to the Mexican border, there’s Border Patrol (BP) all over the place.  In some ways thats good because you always have someone watching out for your area.  But then again, that’s also what’s wrong because the BP is always around.

I haven’t been getting enough sleep since I’ve been out here as I’m trying to get a lot done with school and my personal life.  School definitely sucks this session as I have a team project that I haven’t been on top of, and I have team members that only want to show up at the end of the week when the projects due, or not at all.  Because I’m so far behind due to the travels out here my grades are slipping and with this group project I’m afraid I might fail this class.  I’ve reached out to the teacher and mentioned my problems and she said that she would try to put a fire under my team mates rear, but I’m not sure that’s even working.  I guess I’ll just have to hang in there.

It’s only been a week and I’m really starting to miss my wife and kids.  I actually talked to my son and daughter for the first time tonight and let me tell you, that was pretty difficult.  I had been thinking about them all day today and I was getting a little teared up because it’s been a week now since I’ve seen them and it’s going to be another 5 weeks before I get to see them again.  They’ve been going to bed early (7:30p) and I don’t get a chance to talk to them as I’m just getting home from work at that time and getting situated.  Mountains

By the time I realized I need to call it’s too late cause the kids are already in bed.  Otherwise, if I do call home and the kids are still up they don’t want to talk to me.  Well I was actually able to talk to them and that seriously tugged at my heart strings.  I was on the edge of tears when I talked with my daughter and son.  I just don’t want them to forget about me, and I know they wont, but I also don’t want them to disregard me when I call home because they’re my life and they mean the world to me.  I’m very lucky I get to talk with my wife every night however I’ve been very distracted with my school work and everything else that’s going on that the conversations have been less than desirable.

Anyway it’s 10:22p (PST) (that’s 12:22a (CST)) and I’m very, very tired due to the lack of sleep over this week.  I doubt I get to sleep in as Dan and Megan’s kids are very loud in the morning, but we’ll see.  They are great kids nonetheless and I don’t mind them waking me up at all.  It’s just nice to be able to sleep in past 7:30a.  No worries though, that will come soon enough.

Dan and Megan have been wonderful to me and I thank them dearly for housing me.
Ok, I gotta end it here, I’m just to damn tired to keep going.

So, what do you think ?

You must be logged in to post a comment.